CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

" We believe in being honest, true, chaste,benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. "

Monday, September 22, 2008

Fool Me Once...

I enjoy a good read. A lot. I decided a couple of years ago that I would begin to read what most of the world deems "Classic" books. It went very well until I decided to read Jane Eyre, most of the world has already read it. Most of the world has it on their best loved books list on their blog, Facebook profile, or Match.com. Wonderful. I'll read it.




HOWEVER, first I read the introduction. By some fancy shmancy professor, I'm sure. I don't even recall. What I do remember is reading the first half of the book with such disdane for our heroine that I never finished it. It was ruined. Completely ruined. I won't spoil it for you by revealing what this imbosil felt for Ms. Eyre. Just know it wasn't good. I'll have to wait a few years and try again.


Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde is next on my list. Opened the book, started reading. OOOOH buddy, you almost got me again Mr. Pompous, Know-It-All professor man. Who says you get to introduce (review), this book before I even know what it's about? I always thought an introduction would be an historical reference to the author and the subject. Maybe there are some out there, but you almost got me again, you sly little devil. As my daughter would say, "Mama, you're so silly." Since when did they start subjectively analyzing characters? Ickhh.



I'm no fancy professor lady, but I figure that if Ms. Bronte were alive she'd want us to read the words she placed on the pages of that book. She'd probably be really ticked off that some academic read into her characters like Dr. Laura.

1 comments:

Tami said...

I have problems like that too! Thus I read easy two day reads. I really should get into Classics and not read the intro. This is a fun site.