CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

" We believe in being honest, true, chaste,benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. "

Friday, September 5, 2008

You are Cordially Invited





Honestly, my husband considers me somewhat of a sourpuss. I can see his point, also somewhat. Here's what I've decided. I haven't taken the time, in my past, to celebrate all of the little joys that make life good. My husband loves to take the kids to Cracker Barrel to eat just so he can buy them some type of super-fancy lollipop with a spinny-thing attached to the top when we walk out to pay the check. What do I do? Worry that they'll be spoiled or that it will result in another $2500 dentist bill. At one point I did take time to honestly ponder what I do celebrate. Birthdays, major holidays...hmmm, that's about it. There's nothing wrong with those well-thought-out, highly anticipated occasions, but my goodness, what we have to celebrate!






This month we'll highlight my baby daughters First Laugh with a feast. Who'd have thought? Well, the Navajos did and still do! What in the world is more reason to celebrate than a precious new child's first expression of the joy of being alive. Why didn't I think of that (don't answer that, Jason)?






My husband was raised in North Carolina. When our Church's Bi-annual General Conference is held, this joyous southern congregation finishes off the night in a celebration of faith, unity, and food glorious food. Hey, why didn't we think of that? We don't cook anything that could even compare to chicken and pastry, but heck, 7 layer dip and funeral potatoes are always good among friends, right?




It all boils down to gratitude. We celebrate when we recognize blessings or in dedication to someone or something special. Life is full of those things and those people, I'm tellin' you!




I have a goal to find at least 2 things a week to celebrate. Could be we celebrate the fact that I finally got to the yard work after an extended holiday followed by rain, so we pull out a blanket and have dinner in the yard-clipping-scented evening with a vista of trimmed plants and swept walks. Could be that my son remembered to throw his dirty socks down the stairs to the laundry (instead of putting them back in his drawer). We'll parade around the house singing his praises (I may even put a rag in everyone's hand so we can dust as we go).




My husband has taught me that it's the little things that build up to a wonderful life. So, you are cordially invited to stop and smell the grass clippings and show thanksgiving.




0 comments: